Sunday, December 2, 2007

My Favorite Wife (1940)

Four stars, will definitely watch again.

A shipwrecked woman returns to her family after seven years on a desert island and finds that she has been declared dead and her husband has just married another woman.

There is no sympathy for the other woman, she is an absolute pill but after a half hour of Cary Grant not being able to figure out how to tell his second wife that his first wife is still alive you do kind of want to just pick him up and shake him.



But he just looks so darn cute in his leopard-print bathrobe.

Anyhow, eventually Grant figures out that his wife wasn't alone on the island, he tries to figure out what happened on the island, she tries to hide it, and hilarity ensues!

It's akin to Bringing Up Baby in the combination of physical comedy and comedy of errors.

4 comments:

Kim said...

They remade this movie in the 60's with Doris Day and James Garner, have you seen it? It's definitely worth a watch, but I still love the original better!

Ms. Q said...

Haven't seen that! Was it also called "My Favorite Wife"? I will keep an eye out for it...can never see enough of Doris Day!

Jessica said...

Oh, I love this movie. I just re-watched "The Awful Truth" last weekend, and I"m thinking that maybe I should add Irene Dunne to my list of actors and actresses who deserve my unconditional devotion. Cary Grant has already earned it, which helps him out in my eyes when I see movies like "Once Upon a Time."

Kim said...

The Doris Day one is called Move Over Darling. Definitely check it out :)