Saturday, July 21, 2007

The Awful Truth (1937)

Cary Grant wishlist again! I've seen this one so I only watched half of it and then Jess and I fast-forwarded through the end to remind ourselves how it ended. She remembered the weird cuckoo-clock and the door that factors into the happy reunion of the couple.



Basically, this is one of those movies where a married couple starts the movie off with a hasty divorce and we wait for them to get reunited (and remarried) at the end.

Cary Grant also does this in The Philadelphia Story, doesn't he? He's often divorced. In House Boat, too, he's about to get a divorce when his wife dies.

Anyhow, they are supposedly sharing custody of the dog, who is played by Asta again! In the movie his name is Mr. Smith.

I have to say, though, I love Irene Dunne's outfits, even her cooky hats are kind of entertaining more than annoying, but I HATE her hair.

I feel too sorry for the characters (especially Ralph Bellamy's Oklahoma Oilman) to give it more than three stars, but it's a great romantic comedy.

Will definitely watch again, sometime.
Three stars.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Wait, does Ralph Bellamy always play a goofy guy who does not quite get the girl? In His Girl Friday there he is again, about to marry Cary Grant's ex but losing out in the end.

I love the hats. I wish I could wear these hats. Seriously. My grandmother's hats are just not as exciting.

Jessica said...

I just want to say that I give this movie four stars. I was just re-watching the scene where Irene Dunne pretends to be Cary Grant's sister.