Monday, September 1, 2008

The Graduate (1967)

The Graduate.  How many times have I seen this movie?  When I graduated high school, my dad counseled me to tell people that I was interested in plastics.  But had I seen the movie yet?  The first time I remember watching it was the night before classes started my freshman year at Swarthmore College.  Most of the freshman class and a whole lot of excited upperclassmen packed LPAC and cheered at lines such as:

Mr. Braddock: Would you mind telling me then what those four years of college were for? What was the point of all that hard work?
Benjamin: You got me.

Ahh, tradition.  The Swarthmore tradition of playing The Graduate to the incoming freshman has got me hooked, and I've been watching it at home every fall since.  Although now I watch it right before the first graders swarm.

So, now I'm finding that I don't really have anything to say about the movie.  Every line is a perfect line, every shot a perfect shot.
Some of the lines have become a part of my everyday vocabulary.  "He's a good walker."
Four stars of course, at least.  This is a perfect movie.

1 comment:

Ms. Q said...

At Bryn Mawr, of course, our movie was "The Philadelphia Story" and we played it every May Day. Bit different and yet the same. Nothing like swigging a stealthy beer on the floor of a lecture hall rigged up as a movie theater with a rowdy crowd of close friends to make you love a movie.